Saturday, February 13, 2010

My own private Idaho.

I've had it in my mind recently that I want to make lots of little worlds. What first got me thinking was all of terrariums I've been seeing (I even made a few myself). But what about fauxrariums?  That is, what if I made a little world entirely from scratch? 



Then, I saw Phoebe in Wonderland (available in your local video store or streaming from Netflix), which features this amazing "wonderland" that the mother rigs up on a lazy susan  for ease of playing with. It reminded me almost of a smaller, spinning Mister Rogers Neighborhood (which is also inspiring). So I think I might make my own version... and definitely a spinning one.


I've also been looking at the amazing modern dioramas made by George and Jaqueline Schmidt of Screech Owl Design. The link takes you to a tutorial, which I fully plan on using. Here's a sketch of some that I want to make. There will definitely be lots of layers and cut-outs. I'm still working on the designs, though.


After talking to my friend Carla (an amazing artist and crafter) about my plans, she brought up the idea of collaborating on a nice Puppet Theater, complete with puppets. The plan is to start with the puppets, then figure out what kind of backgrounds would work best for us... this should be really cool. I'm excited!


 So, that's what I've been day dreaming of. I can't wait to get started! I'll probably start off by making a miniature fauxrarium first... we'll see what happens, I guess. 


Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment