Monday, October 18, 2010

APE 2010!


My ring display: pyrex + rice!
After an exhausting weekend selling my wares at the Alternative Press Expo (APE) in San Francisco this weekend, I haven't even begun to dig into all the comics and other goodies I traded for... though I'm really excited about those, too. Alas, they'll have to wait for my next post!

My corner of our booth.
Our 6-foot long table was pretty much full to the brim, especially on Sunday. There I was on the right-hand side, hiding behind my tower of goodies. Julien was in the middle, with a nice old-people friendly (read: larger sized) version of his comic, The San Lukas Arboretum. And Julien's friend Danny held down the left side of the table, selling some beautiful samurai and coi fish prints. On Sunday, we even had another person crammed behind the table: Danny's friend Jon, who had some ridiculous celebrity-as-dinosaur prints for sale (my favorite was Michael Cera-tops). Luckily, our little cooler of beer kept us in high spirits!

As for me, I really experimented with some new things. In addition to making rings, which I had never tried before, I also played around with the idea of having two brooches, connected by draped chain. Besides using woodcut butterflies, I also tried a few woodcut robots and cameras, all attached to my felt flowers. I've been wanting to do this for a while, and got some great feedback, even though I didn't sell quite as many of the double-brooches as I did other (cheaper) items.

A pretty successful weekend, all in all. Next up on my agenda: getting into more brick-and-mortar stores!


No comments:

Post a Comment