Thursday, December 16, 2010

Putting the "Bizarre" back in Bazaar Bizarre

After a fairly unsuccessful trip to Bazaar Bizarre last weekend, I'm wondering if I should carry through with my plans to try again at another craft fair this weekend in San Francisco? Here's the deal: 
After creating this (if I do say so myself) AWESOME trench coat filled with my crafty wares, I concocted an evil plan to set up shop in front of the entrance to Bazaar Bizarre, an annual holiday craft fair. I would go completely incognito: Suspicious trench filled with crafts? Check! Light brown helmet wig? Check! Aviator sunglasses? Check! Completely ridiculous high-waisted jeans? Check! Once there, I would be photographed and talked about throughout the land, in addition to the obscene amount of merchandise I would sell, of course.



Well, obviously I got shut down by "the Man," a security guard who seemed neither amused by my sales tactics, nor willing to condescend to a pinky swear with me (a sincere promise that I wouldn't sell anything while I waited for a friend to return).

Neverthless, the day was not a total loss: the masses definitely enjoyed my marketing idea, even if not too many actually came closer to look at the jewelry I was selling.

Plus, I was able to sell something, make a few friends, and even finagle a trade with an adorable vendor, Bird Mafia, inside the craft fair proper. I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not to try again at Renegade (another big SF craft market), but there would definitely have to be some tweaks to my strategy... let me know if you have any ideas!

Laura

1 comment:

  1. What fun! I say you go incognito into the craft fair just wearing trench, etc. and once inside don your "incognito" costume w/ wig, and all. That way they'll never know. ::muahahahaha::

    ReplyDelete